Update (1/12/2022): The update process for our new licensing database is taking longer than initially expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are still accepting license renewals through the mail, and we have an alternate system in place to accept online renewals, detailed below:
- Go to our Other Fees payment page.
- Under "Transaction Item" select the "Other" option from the drop-down list.
- Fill in the four fields that appear below: First and last name, email address, license number, and for "Reason" type in "Personal License Renewal" or "Shop License Renewal" as appropriate.
- Under Unit Price, type in the amount you will be paying: $100 for a personal license renewal, and $150 for a shop license renewal.
- Once those 5 fields have been completed, click the "Next" button in the right-hand corner.
- In the next window, provide your billing address information and click "Next".
- In the next window, provide your credit card information.
- Once done, click "I am not a robot" at the bottom, then "Submit Payment".
- Once you have completed the process above, you are still required to print out the renewal form for your Personal Renewal or Shop Renewal, fill it out, and sign it. You can mail it in to us, or scan it and email it directly to email@example.com.
Beginning October 1, 2021, the Alabama Board of Cosmetology and Barbering will begin using a new licensing database for issuing personal and business licenses. This new system will provide us the ability to offer many more online services to our licensees that previously required mailed-in forms to complete, such as name changes, address changes, shop ownership changes, and duplicate license requests. We will, of course, still accept mailed-in applications and payments, but we believe the convenience offered by our new online system will make these processes much easier for our licensees.
To facilitate the transition to our new database, we will not be processing any applications after September 30, 2021 until sometime during the first week of October. This will give everyone whose personal licenses expire on September 30 every opportunity to timely renew their license. Additionally, shop licenses that expire on September 30, 2021 will not be charged a late fee for their renewal until after October 31, 2021, by which time our new system will be fully operational.
As we transition to our new licensing database system, we will be providing further instructions on how to use the system at our website, aboc.alabama.gov. Please be patient with us as we transition to this new system to streamline our services for you!
Update (10/8/2021): Work is continuing on migrating data from our old system to our new system. We anticipate being able to process renewals and new license applications sometime next week. Any applications received in-person or via mail will be processed at that time. We thank you for your patience as we work to prepare our new system for use.
Update (10/27/2021): While we are continuing the work of upgrading our database system and ensuring that all licensee's data is transferred to the new system, licensees with upcoming expiration dates may renew online by using the fee payment page and selecting "Click here to pay other fees." After making the online payment, please either mail in your renewal form to the Board at: ABOCB, P.O. Box 301750, Montgomery, AL 36130-1750 or email a copy of your renewal form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update (1/12/2022): We have clarified the instructions for submitting renewal forms to the Board after making an online renewal payment.