Statutory Laws and Administrative Rules (posted December 1, 2021)
Who we regulate
- Class 2 Barbers
- Eye Brow Threaders
- Natural Hair Stylists
- Shops performing services regulated by this Board
- Private Schools teaching services regulated by this Board (Public Schools are regulated by the Alabama Department of Education)
Who we do not regulate
- Class 1 Barbers
The Board does not have jurisdiction over:
- Fees for services
- Contracts between students and schools
Rule Changes - Effective January 1, 2022
Chapter 250-X-7 et seq. Defines Mobile Shops and describes requirements for licensure, operation, and inspection of mobile shops.
Rule Changes - Effective June 14, 2021
• To allow services to be performed by licensed professionals outside a licensed facility when necessary due to illness or incapacitation.
Chapter 250-X-3-.01 Shop Requirements
(13) No licensee shall perform any service authorized by a license issued by this Board in a facility not licensed by this board, except
(a) when necessary due to the illness or other physical or mental incapacitation of the recipient of the service, and
(b) when performed by a licensee in the employment of a licensed shop, and
(c) when appointments are made through a licensed shop for the service.
Rule Changes Effective July 13, 2020
• To remove conflicting language referencing the vendor fee and total exam fee. Exam fee will remain a fixed fee (amount of fee will not change).
Chapter 250-X-2-.01 Fees
(3) Personal licenses may be issued to any appropriate category of licensure as determined by the Board, and an appropriate fee shall be established for each license. Fees shall be the following:
(a) Written Examination or Reexamination: $75
(b) Practical Examination or Reexamination: $130
• To add language specifying sink in the work area or within 5 feet of the work area
Chapter 250-X-3-.03 Shops
(4) Shops providing esthetics services must have at least the following equipment or services:
(a) One facial chair or all purpose chair.
(b) One magnifying glass
(c) One sink in the work area, or at least within 5 feet of the entrance/ exit of the work area
(d) One covered trash container