- Must be at least 16 years old
- Has successfully completed at least 10 grades in secondary school, or the equivalent (must provide original transcript plus English translation if needed)
- Has paid the applicable registration fee
- Must work under a Sponsor who is currently licensed and has been licensed for at least five (5) years
- Must have been actively licensed for at least five (5) years prior to sponsoring an apprentice
- Must document hours worked by Apprentice, keeping daily, monthly and accumulated total of earned hours
- Must submit Apprentice’s hours monthly (by the fifteenth day of the month after the month in which hours are earned)
- Apprentice is NOT allowed to work if Sponsor is not present
- Is responsible for returning Apprentice Permit to Board Office if Apprentice discontinues working
- May only sponsor one person at a time
- Sponsor’s license must remain current during the entire apprenticeship.
Shop Owner Responsibilities
- Must certify the named salon has adequate facilities, supplies and instructional materials to train the apprentice named above in all aspects of the selected practice
- Is responsible to see that Apprentice’s hours are turned into Board Office monthly
- Is responsible for returning Apprentice Permit to Board office if Apprentice discontinues working
- Shop license must remain current during the entire apprenticeship.
- Daily, monthly and accumulated total of earned apprentice hours must be sent to the Board Office by the fifteenth (15th) day of the month after the month in which hours are earned (Example: January hours are due by February 15th)
- Hours not received in the Board Office with a postmark date after the fifteenth (15th) day of the month after the month in which hours are earned will not be credited.
- Apprentice hours and school hours MAY NOT BE COMBINED
When I have completed my Apprentice Hours
To be eligible to register to take the exams, the following hours must be completed:
Barber 2,000 clock hours within two (2) years
Cosmetologist 3,000 clock hours within three (3) years
Esthetician 2,000 clock hours within three (3) years
Natural Hair Stylist 420 clock hours within six (6) months
Manicurist 1,200 clock hours within two (2) years
You will be sent a Written Exam Application once you have completed your hours. If you complete your hours and have not received one, please contact Cheryl (firstname.lastname@example.org)/1-800-815-7453/1-334-242-1912/Fax – 1-334-353-2299
How many hours do I have?
It is the Sponsor’s and Shop Owner’s responsibility to keep up with the hours for the Apprentice. The Inspectors will check for this documentation when an inspection is done at the shop. Failure to do so may cause the Board to bring disciplinary action against the Sponsor and the Shop Owner. For more information, please contact Cheryl (email@example.com)/1-800-815-7453/1-334-242-1912/Fax – 1-334-353-2299
Apprentice Department Contact Information